Monday, February 17, 2014

The [Recipe] for LOVELY eats & treats


We had lunch at Pattaya a local Thai resturant and one of our favorites in Woodmere, New York 
First of all I am so grateful to be married to such a wonderful man. He does so much for us and sacrifices so much time. He thinks I'm funny, we laugh until we cry, we get along so well, he spoils me, he is extremely patient and he is a great example of living the gospel. Plus he is extremely good looking.

Anyway, Evan is a Intern Resident at St. John's Episcopal Hospital in Far Rockaway. His rotations cause him to work 12-16 hours a day. Valentines Day he happened to be the on-call night doctor so we had all day to spend together for our 1st Valentines Day. 

The last few days have been very cold, snowy and windy so we tried to stay inside as much as possible.

We started out our day with some delicious homemade Strawberry Crepes. The only crepes I've ever had are from iHop. Despite a few changes I would make, they turned out pretty good:) 

*disclosure* 
[I'm no cooking pro but I'm learning, and surprisingly my skills have drastically improved. The recipes I select to post are easy and are something both Evan and I thought were tasty] 


1 C unbleached flour
1 T Vanilla 
1 1/2 C almond Milk
A dash of salt 
3 eggs

Add the flour, vanilla, almond milk, salt and eggs into a mixing bowl. Stir until it is smooth. Add more almond milk if it is too thick. The mixture shouldn't be watery or too thick. 
Use a large flat pan for the stove.
 *the key is to pour the mixture into the pan and ensure that it is thin, or your crepes will be too thick and end up slightly rubbery*
The best size crepe is one of about 8 inches so you can fill your crepes with delicious fruits and toppings. 

Cook your crepes until they are a light brown. 
I used sliced strawberries, greek yogurt and light whipping cream. 
Nutella, bananas, and other fruits are great for sweet crepes. 

After breakfast we watched the classic 90's movie with Adam Sandler, The Wedding Singer. I forgot how funny that movie was. Because Evan had to work the night shift, we went to lunch at one of our favorite resturants in the area called Pattaya. Pretty awesome Thai food and even better that they have lunch specials-perfect for a poor newly wed couple! Who doesn't love an occassional bowl of Pad Thai and Peanut Chicken. 

For dessert Root Bear Floats. 
Simple, yet delicious. 
I didn't know how much Evan liked Root Beer. He never told me he had a slight obsession with Root Beer until now. 


How perfect is Evan? He asked me multiple times if there was anything I wanted for Valentines Day. I said no. First of all he knows my obsession with Nordstrom. I love Nordstrom. Looking at it, walking through it. Ah my weakness, but he was watching me on Pinterest one night and saw that I was looking at these gold Kate Spade Heart Shaped Earrings from Nordstrom and jumped online and immediately ordered them. 

I actually made this the day before Valentines Day- My grandma "Oma" frequently made this cake, Schwarzwälder-Kirsch-Torte, for family events, holidays, birthdays or just because.

Schwarzwälder-Kirsch-Torte or Black Forest Cherry Cake- this cake is popular to the Eysser Family

2 German Chocolate Box Cakes 
3 Eggs
Applesauce or Oil 
Water
1 Tub of Cool Whip 
1 Can of Cherries in the Heavy Syrup 
1 Can Whipped Milk Chocolate Frosting
1 round spring pan

If you prefer baking with oil than you only need 1 cake box mix. 
I try to avoid oil as much as possible so I cook with applesauce.  Prepare both box cake mix as directed [separately]. Again, I replace the oil with unsweetened applesauce - it causes the cake to become more dense and moist -therefore I make two cakes for the separate layers. 
Bake both cakes as directed on the box, then let cool. 
For the center add the frosting and cool whip then the entire can of cherries. 
Add the second cake layer. 
Cover the top and the sides with the remainder of the chocolate frosting and the cool whip. 

It's Ready to eat. 
Delicious. 
<3 


We had an absolutely perfect Valentines Day with lots of delicious treats and eats. Hope you enjoy them too. 


We received Cards & Cookies from family! Thanks to all those who sent us a little something! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS